Located on the corner of Buckland Road and Bage Street, the Nundah State School was opened in October 1865 as the German Station National School with an initial enrolment of 62 pupils.
The first head teacher John Nicholson, remained in charge until 1868 and is buried at the Nundah Historic Cemetery.
In 1896, the school was renamed Nundah State School. It experienced a period of rapid expansion. In 1912, when the infants’ wing was constructed, 700 pupils attended the school.
The northern wing (facing Boyd Road) was erected and opened in 1935.
Between 1939 and 1945, trenches were dug in the school grounds to protect its pupils from the possibility of air raids.
The main wing of the school was opened in 1941, with the Buckland Road wing being added in 1951.
The school pool was built in 1956 and was funded by parents pledging money over a period of two years. The swimming club was established in 1960.
For more information on Nundah’s history, call the Nundah and Districts Historical Society on (07) 3260 6703.
NUNDAH STATE SCHOOL