The section of Chermside in Northgate Ward, is the area south of Hamilton Road and east of Gympie Road.
The area of Chermside was originally named Downfall Creek. When the first school in the area opened in 1900, the teacher James Youatt disliked the name so much that he suggested renaming the school 'Chermside' after the newly appointed governor of Queensland. The name Chermside was formalised in 1903.
Burnie Brae Community Centre and Burnie Brae Park are central community facilities in the area. The park is undergoing a major upgrade over the next few years to include landscaping and a community garden.